Although winter officially begins today, it currently isn’t feeling very much like winter (though I am not complaining!. But, being Illinois, our weather can go from 60 to 0 at the drop of a hat. So, in preparation for the inevitable cold, here are some winter weather tips to help you safely enjoy the snowy outdoors:
- Dress in breathable layers. Sweating makes one more likely to get chilled.
- Make sure gloves and socks are dry.
- Wear a hat.
- If skin is pale, red or numb, or if your child is shivering, change into dry/warm clothes and run warm (not hot) water on affected skin. Do not rub the skin.
If you are going sledding:
- Make sure the area is clear of trees, stumps, holes and fences; some of these may be buried under the snow.
- Face forward and sit up, its easier to steer this way.
- Do not sled by ponds, parking lots or roads.
If you are going ice skating:
- Skate only on specially prepared areas where the ice can bear your child’s weight.
- Check for cracks, holes and debris.
- Never skate alone.
Enjoy this time of the year!